The link between human health and the health of our planet is becoming increasingly apparent. As a company dedicated to improving people’s lives through innovative and high-quality health and pharmacy services, we are committed to: operating in a manner that meets or exceeds applicable environmental regulations; reducing our environmental and climate-related impacts; and contributing to the long-term sustainability of our business.
CVS Caremark’s enterprise-wide environmental strategy, goals and quantifiable targets are established and overseen by senior-level corporate executives and, as appropriate, reviewed by the company’s CEO for approval. The process for developing our strategy, goals and targets involves engagement with colleagues from across the enterprise, including our Executive Environmental Management Council, Sustainability Leadership Council, internal Energy Technology Assessment Committee — which launched in 2011 — and third-party environmental experts. In 2011, we began initial conversations with CERES to learn from its expertise as a leading champion of sustainable business practices and solutions.
We believe ongoing measurement, assessment and transparency of our initiatives are essential components of our environmental commitment and will lead to improved performance over time. Our approach to disclosure includes issuing an annual Corporate Social Responsibility Report, which is developed using the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) Framework, and participating in other initiatives, such as the Carbon Disclosure Project (CDP) and the CDP Water Disclosure Project.
Our environmental strategy, goals and targets are focused in these areas:
- Addressing our enterprise-wide, climate-related impacts through reductions in greenhouse gas emissions
- Building robust compliance programs to meet regulatory requirements applicable to our business operations
- Conserving natural resources by seeking reductions in energy use, water use and solid waste
- Encouraging more recycling throughout our enterprise and the use of recycled materials in the products we purchase and sell
- Minimizing the use of raw materials in our products and packaging
- Seeking feasible alternatives for materials of concern in the development of our products
- Employing LEED and Energy Star standards in the construction of our facilities
To achieve our goals and meet our targets, we collaborate with various internal and external stakeholders. This may include:
Employees Raising awareness of their opportunities to reduce their environmental impacts both at work and beyond
Customers Providing products that are better for the environment and offering ways for them to reduce their impacts when they shop with us
Suppliers Collaborating to reduce the environmental footprint of the products we purchase and sell
Government Monitoring environmental policy and legislation
Environmental groups Working with experts and seeking their counsel on environmental issues, goal setting, measurement and innovative approaches to reducing our footprint